Thursday, June 29, 2017

Summer Reading List

While on vacation at the beach, I read two books and started a third. One of the books I read is called The Illusion of Separateness by Simon Van Booy. From the publisher: "The Illusion of Separateness intertwines the stories of unique and compelling characters who—through seemingly random acts of selflessness—discover the vital parts they have played in each other’s lives." 

I found it to be a very unique book, written in an almost poetic style. It's not a long book, and is an easy read (I finished it in two days, and I'm a slow reader) yet it is complex. There came a point in the story when I was suddenly overcome with emotion. I wasn't expecting it. I very much enjoyed this novel and recommend adding it to your reading list.



The book I'm currently reading is The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway. I may get some criticism for saying this, but I really do not like this book. I'm going to finish it mainly because is it a classic, but the style and subject matter are not for me. I loved The Old Man and the Sea when I read it in high school (but I also had a fantastic English teacher who brought it to life; perhaps without her I wouldn't have cared so much for it). However, The Sun Also Rises is pure drudgery! Are there any fans of Hemingway who would like to leave a comment and let me know your thoughts on this novel?

Another book I have on loan from the library is called On Rue Tatin by Susan Herrmann Loomis. It is the story of a woman's move to Paris to attend cooking school, eventually settling in a small town in Normandy. It combines two interests: food and France. I look forward to reading it next, as soon as I finish Hemingway!


As always, I'd love to hear what you're reading or some of your favorite books. Leave a comment and let me know. I'm always adding books to my list. Thanks for visiting MLB!
 

2 comments:

  1. I would recommend attempting Hemingway's "A Moveable Feast". It takes place in Paris and his writing is descriptive in a way that many of his other books are not. "Sun" can be tough, and I love and teach Hemingway.

    I just took out "On Rue Tatin" as an Ebook. Thanks for the recommendation!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Grace. So nice to hear from you! Thank you for the Hemingway suggestion. I'll check it out.
    Claudia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...