Wednesday, July 19, 2017

Black Bean-Mushroom-Tortilla Casserole



Here is a simple, quick meal you can prepare on a weeknight after work. The nice thing about this dish is that it provides leftovers for the next evening (it's just me and my husband so we get two meals out of it). If you are vegan, you can make it using non-dairy cheese. It's also vegetarian and gluten-free. The mushrooms make it "meaty" and substantial while the beans offer protein. Enjoy!

Black Bean-Mushroom-Tortilla Casserole
Serves 4

Ingredients:
Olive or avocado oil
1 lb. button mushrooms, trimmed and quartered
1 clove garlic, minced
pinch of cayenne pepper
1 can (15 oz) black beans, rinsed and drained
8 corn tortillas, halved
1-1/2 cups salsa
4 oz. Pepper Jack cheese, shredded

Directions:
1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large skillet, heat a few teaspoons olive or avocado oil over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook, stirring frequently, until browned, about 7 minutes. Add garlic and cayenne; season with salt and pepper. Add the black beans and stir to combine. Cook until beans are warmed through, about 2 minutes. Remove from heat.
2) In a 2-quart baking dish, arrange 5 tortilla halves, overlapping slightly. Top with half the mushroom-bean mixture and 1/2 cup salsa, then sprinkle with a third of the cheese. Repeat with another layer of tortilla halves, bean mixture, salsa and cheese. Top with remaining tortillas, salsa and cheese (add more cheese if you like it cheesier). Cover with foil and bake until center is hot, about 10 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 5 to 8 minutes, or until cheese is bubbling.
 

4 comments:

  1. Hi Claudia,
    I am gonna make that! We recently went vegan. Since seeing" What the Health". I have been a long time reader of Janet (The Gardener's Cottage) I read her referencing the movie , we made the plunge. I can see that we need more variety or we'll become bored and unsatisfied. So thanks for this.
    Isn't it unreal how much sodium is in canned beans? I soak them and rinse and rinse. Must start making them myself.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to hear you're going to try this recipe. It's yummy, and almost better the second day (we had the leftovers last night). I try to buy low-sodium beans when I can.

      Good for you for going vegan. There are several more recipes I've shared here over the years that are vegan or could easily be made vegan. Check them out. I applaud you for making that change. I couldn't do it. I like yogurt and cheese too much -- and honey! I already have to deal with food restrictions, some by choice and some not, and it's challenging.

      I like Janet's blog too. I'm going to add her to my links on the sidebar.
      Claudia

      Delete
    2. I use the following recipe for slow-cooker black beans. I make 2 lbs at a time and they freeze beautifully. I add 1tbsp of salt after they cook as instructed. The result is flavorful beans with less sodium and a firm (not mushy) texture. Everyone loves them and they are so easy! http://cafejohnsonia.com/2013/02/how-to-slow-cooker-black-beans.html

      Delete
  2. Yum this sounds delicious!! I am pinning this one!!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...