Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Honey & Maple Syrup


There's a new store in town that sells supplies for beekeeping, chicken raising and hydroponics/gardening. They also sell a wide assortment of honey and some locally made foods and soaps, books, baskets and other items. It's a charming little store!

All the honey they sell on tap is available for sampling, as are most of the bottled varieties. We tried every single one that's on tap, from African to bourbon-infused. One of our favorites was the Tupelo honey. I also liked the coffee-infused; it didn't taste like coffee, but was interesting and different. The African is very dark and similar in taste to molasses. There were so many varieties, and I liked all but maybe one of them.

My husband loves honeycomb, so he chose a large box from Cloister Honey out of Charlotte, NC. I don't care for chewing or eating the wax, so I just enjoy the honey and discard the rest. Paul likes to eat the whole thing. Some say the comb has health benefits.


When I tasted Trees Knees Cinnamon Maple syrup by Bushwick Kitchen, below, I fell in love. I am a huge fan of maple syrup, and this stuff is amazing. Based in Brooklyn, NY, Bushwick Kitchen also has an assortment of honeys, from plain to salted to spicy. And they have a spicy maple syrup and sriracha sauce, too.



I couldn't wait to make pancakes on Sunday morning so I could enjoy our new cinnamon maple syrup! These pancakes are made from Trader Joe's gluten-free buttermilk pancake mix.


Are you a fan of honey or maple syrup -- or both? How do you use these sweeteners in your cooking and beverages? Share your ideas! I'd love to hear from you.

2 comments:

  1. I love pure maple syrup. Pancakes, waffles or French toast are my favorites to serve it with but I am a purist and like it as it comes. I find that I like grade B organic best. It has a deeper flavor. I have bought it through Amazon.

    Would you share the name of the store? I am local to you and would love to have a honey tasting, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love both honey and maple syrup. I put raw honey in my tea and enjoy it on freshly baked breads. Maple syrup is my favorite sweetener, especially since I went to college in Vermont. I have been known to sneak a jug of "the real stuff" into breakfast restaurants. Ha! I love it on pancakes, waffles, and oatmeal. Yum, yum, yum.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...