Tuesday, September 12, 2017

Open House

Hello there! I wanted to share with you a look inside a house in my neighborhood that is for sale -- a 1924 bungalow that's been renovated by the current owner, who is also a realtor. I asked permission to take photos and post them here for you to enjoy. Come in and take a look around!


The house, at approximately 1,400 square feet, has just two bedrooms and one bath. Listed at $240,000, it would be ideal for a single person or a couple without kids. The outside is covered in white vinyl siding, which, in my opinion, is a shame. The house's original wood siding would have so much more charm. But I get the convenience of not having to paint -- believe me, I do. Personally, though, I prefer the historical accuracy of wood siding, even if it's expensive to maintain. If I bought this house, I'd remove the vinyl.


The owner consulted with a decorator who suggested the pink door and trim color for the small attic windows. Apparently, pink is a favorite color of millennials. However, the people at the open house were Gen Xers like me. I'm not sure what's up with the radiator cover on the porch above. I imagine the house once had radiators, but has been updated with gas heat.

Inside, the house has beautiful, original hardwood floors (both oak and pine), an original coal-burning fireplace and tons of large, gorgeous original windows. Lord, I hope the new owners don't replace those windows. They, along with the large, wrap-around porch, are what sold me on this house.


Another set of pink doors, below, leads from the living room out to the wrap-around porch.


The bedroom in the back of the house, shown below, has six windows! I love their four-over-one configuration. Between this bedroom and the kitchen is a small room (not shown) that could serve as a media room, study or cozy library. It has no closet, so it can't be considered a bedroom.


The dining room features three of the same beautiful windows, as well as the original double French doors. The light fixture is new, obviously. The owner spent a good bit of money on all the fixtures, which can be risky because fixtures are such a personal preference. This one is nice, but if I bought this home, I'd replace it with something more appropriate to the period of the house. 
 

The kitchen is nicely renovated with new stainless appliances, bright white subway tile, granite counters and white-painted maple cabinets.



There is a cute pantry and small laundry/mudroom off the kitchen, which leads out to a small deck. The owner paid attention to details, using the same light fixture in the pantry as over the kitchen sink, the same floor tile in the laundry room as in the bathroom, and the same schoolhouse light fixtures on the front porch, side porch and laundry room.




Just look at this side porch! I could decorate the heck out of this space.
 

The bathroom, though there is only one, is very cute. I love the large shower. The "glass" block window, however, is a solid piece of plastic made to look like glass block. I'd have to replace that, too, if I were to buy this house. Otherwise, I think the bathroom is well done. 

 
The house features its original door knobs and hardware, which I just adore. And that uneven paint texture on the door? That's years of history. 


Here's a super cool feature. In the hallway, between the front bedroom and bathroom, is not only the original telephone nook and cabinet above to hold a phone book, but a fold-out seat below. How unique! My husband asked me if it would really hold a person's weight. I didn't ask, and I certainly didn't test it out.


I hope you enjoyed this tour. Take a moment and let me know what you like (or don't like) about this house. Thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow!

3 comments:

  1. I adore it! I would buy it in a heartbeat if it were on Main Street in Walhalla. (But NO on the pink doors!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it all (especially that porch), EXCEPT that pink door and trim. I don't get that. For me, it's odd and jarring. Love this post. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely love this house! I would buy it in a minute if it wouldn't be such a long way from my grandchildren. It's exactly my style. My favorite is the front porch but I love the hardwoods and the windows too. I would probably want a big ol' farm sink in the kitchen though. Love, love the telephone nook -- hope the phone stays with the house!

    Wish I could afford to buy it as a vacation home! Just lovely!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...