Monday, November 13, 2017

Fall Update

Hello! Sorry I have neglecting the blog as of late. How can it possibly be November 13! Time is flying by so quickly. Christmas will be here before we know it (and I do have to admit, I've already started listening to Christmas music!). 

Paul and I made a trip to Ikea yesterday. It was only our second visit to Ikea. I have to be honest, it's not my favorite place to shop. I know, I know. I'm in the minority. But I find it hard to navigate and there's so much stuff! However, we went with a specific purpose: to purchase a Magnarp floor lamp (below) for our studio.
Unfortunately, the store's online stock status was incorrect, and all the boxes of Magnarps were gone from the shelves. So frustrating! And the store won't sell one of their 12 floor models either! So we ended up buying the Grono glass table lamp instead (below).
Its small size works well on the little dresser in our studio and it puts out a good amount of light. I'll plug it into a digital timer and program it to come on when it gets dark. The goal is to lessen the stress that our 15-year-old beagle, Ella, is experiencing. She is losing her eyesight and has become very stressed at night when it's dark outside and we're not home. It's becoming quite a problem. Whenever we are out at night, we come home only to find her barking continuously, to the point that she's getting hoarse. It's so sad, and makes us feel like we can't be away from home at night. I'm hoping that by lighting the studio, one of the two rooms where she and Henry tend to stay when we're not home, she may be a little less anxious.

On another note, our weather now feels like fall -- actually, more like winter! Morning temperatures the past few days have been in the upper 20s, which is shocking after having rather warm weather until recently. The cold snap has put me in the mood to break out the fall decorations. I updated the dining table using an assortment of real and faux objects: miniature pine cones and faux gourds, pumpkins and red pears.



For Thanksgiving, I will add my favorite amber-colored glass turkey mini taper holders to the table, as I do each year (see this post). I've also learned a new way to fold cloth napkins, thanks to an old issue of Martha Stewart Living. I will try to find the time to post a "how-to" on folding an envelope-style napkin prior to the holidays.

How are you getting your home ready for Thanksgiving? What's on your holiday menu this year? Do share! I love to hear from you. As always, thanks for visiting My Little Bungalow.
 

4 comments:

  1. A plug-in pheromone diffuser may help Bella and her stress levels. We used it for our dogs when we knew storms were forecasted, it seemed to help them cope with the thunder better. We used the DAP Comfort Zone, but there are appear to be many brands in the market now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Liz, thank you for this suggestion. It's not something I've heard of, so I will definitely do some research and try it out. I'm ready to try anything at this point. We did get some anxiety pills from the vet, which we first gave to Ella one night when we were at home (to make sure she didn't have a bad reaction). She was very sleepy and calm, but another night we gave her a pill before going out for a few hours and came home to hear her barking and very anxious as usual. I really appreciate you sharing your idea with me!
      Claudia

      Delete
  2. Really like your new light. Here are the words I would use to describe your style - calm, warm, understated, homey, contemporary, beautiful. Thanks for sharing your lovely table.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jeannine, thank you so much. I had a rough day today at work, and your comment has really lifted my spirits. You are so sweet! I appreciate you following my blog and leaving such thoughtful comments. Thank you!
      Claudia

      Delete

Your comments mean so much! Thank you for visiting My Little Bungalow.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...